Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A TYPEWRITER MIND IN A HIGH TECH WORLD

I am a guy who likes things simple. No frills, no "new and improved," no New Coke (oops, pardon the mid 1980s reference). That said, I appreciate all of the advances made in technology just in my lifetime. Personal computers of all sorts have revolutionized the way we live our lives, mostly for the better. I am utilizing the technology as I write these words (so, don't think this is going to be a Trent Reznor moment--"biting the hand that feeds you."). Things have come a long way from the TRS-80 days (only early 1980s geeks will recognize that reference).

However, in the midst of all the hoopla, I have come to a realization. My mind is better suited for the "retro" days. The best way I can explain this is by liking it to a typewriter. Not electric, but MANUAL. That's right. Manual. My papers at Freed-Hardeman were banged out on an old portable manual typewriter. I had to manually turn the roll to correctly place the footnotes, and either use erasable bond paper or Liquid Paper (if the teachers allowed it).

As a result, for many years I had a deep suspicion of anything computer oriented. For some reason, I thought computer generated type was inferior to that produced on typewriters. And, in the late 80s to mid 90s, that was mainly correct. However, as we know now, the tech explosion of the late 90s changed everything for the common guy. I was convinced, and swept along with the tide. I have not looked back since.

But, a funny thing happened along the way. My brain did not catch up. That is to say, I still think in terms of a typewriter. When I compose a document, I still make sure my fingers hover over the correct keys (asdf jkl;). My Typing I class from 8th grade still comes in handy!!! when I make a mistake, I still go back and manually correct it (okay, that's the OCD side of me taking over--but that's another blogpost in the future).

Does all this matter much? Likely not. Okay, not in a million years. At any rate, my writer's heart is with those scribes who do things "the old fashioned way," and still refuse to use anything that resembles a computer. They pull out the notepad or legal pad, and write away. And, THAT is the heart and soul of true scholarship.

1 comment:

  1. My initial thought: Oh go be a Luddite ;-)but as I pondered your words further...I am not certain I that would go as far as Kevin Kelly and say that technology is “a reflection of God,” I would say that as long as we monitor how it affects our lives, we can live better with it than without it.

    ReplyDelete